// you're reading...

Bushtec Features

Let’s Bust Some Bushtec Myths!

First Article In a Series of Four

mythbusters Lets Bust Some Bushtec Myths!Why should those guys on MythBusters have all the fun?

When a product has been on the market for as long as Bushtec Motorcycle Trailers (we started selling motorcycle cargo trailers, then as now Made in the U.S.A., in 1982!), there are bound to be a few… misconceptions, myths, or falsehoods, call them what you will… that arise about that product in the marketplace.

We thought it would be fun to tackle a few of the common “myths” that we hear about Bushtec Trailers – from customers, potential customers, and general chatter in the market, both online and off. We won’t be making near the spectacle that Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, the co-hosts of the show, typically make as they test and either prove or disprove various myths, but we’ll try to have some fun anyway!

Bushtec Trailers Are Expensive*

(* Hint: this is a myth!)

First up, and this is probably the biggest “myth” of all about Bushtec’s, is that they are expensive. We hear this from customers and in general chatter online… “Bushtec Motorcycle Trailers are expensive,” “they’re not cheap,” and “they all cost $5,000.”

We’d like to tackle this myth head on.

First, CAN a Bushtec Trailer cost $5,000? Sure – if you choose enough options and accessories, and we offer a LOT of them – a Bushtec Trailer can costs around $5,000, or even more if  you really go all-out in your specifications in the Build and Buy process with one of our Call Center folks, or online!

Well, so they don’t ALL cost $5,000. But they’re still “expensive” – right? Actually – no!

As a matter of fact, when you compare our trailers to others on the market, in terms of base prices, and considering the standard features of Bushtec Trailers, our Turbo+2 is actually the LEAST expensive trailer on the market. There is just one competitor out there that has a lower list price than the least-expensive Bushtec – and THAT trailer is actually MORE expensive when it comes to standard features offered!

Bushtec Turbo+2 Motorcycle Trailer 1024x680 Lets Bust Some Bushtec Myths!

Bushtec Turbo+2 Motorcycle Trailer - Base Model

Let’s Compare Base Prices

[table id=1 /]

The Bushtec Turbo+2, starting at $2,495, is very nearly the least expensive model! And consider this: The Bushtec Roadstar starts at just $2,695; the Quantum Sport at $2,895! After looking at the standard features offered by a Bushtec Trailer, compared to the other guys, you will see that these other Bushtec models are indeed less expensive than the competitors!

Let’s Compare Standard Features

You might be thinking, so just what is a “Base” Turbo+2, or a Roadstar of Quantum Sport for that matter? These “Base” trailers includes wheels and a chassis, right? Of course they do!

It’s when you compare the standard features of a Bushtec Trailer to the competition’s “features” that a Bushtec really shines – and the “myth” of the “expensive Bushtec” really falls short of reality.

Let’s take Full Interior Carpet. You don’t want your luggage or golf clubs, or whatever you’re carrying, to ride against bare fiberglass (Bushtec, and some others) or metal, would you? With every single Bushtec Trailer, it’s standard. Period.

So just what else is standard? Well… Every single Bushtec Motorcycle Trailer comes standard with:

• Full Interior Carpet
  • Swivel Coupler System (the Heim Joint System)
  • Air Ride Suspension System

And a host of other safety and engineering features, that we’ll be discussing in future articles.

When you add the published costs for the Full Interior Carpet and a Swivel Coupler System to the competitor’s base model prices, the new least expensive trailer is… the Bushtec Turbo+2! Competitor B winds up around $100 more than the Turbo+2, and both Competitors C and D wind up around $500 MORE than the base price of the Turbo+2!

This Myth Is… BUSTED!

I’d say this myth, that Bushtec Trailers are expensive – is fairly well busted! To summarize:

• Bushtec Motorcycle Trailers have a Base Price that is very nearly the lowest in the marketplace. In fact, three of our most popular models, the Turbo+2, Roadstar and Quantum Sport, have starting prices below $3,000. Plus, the Quantum GL, even with its special styling and features to match the Gold Wing GL series – starts out at just $3,195!
  • When you compare Bushtec’s Standard Features vs. the Other Guys – we really shine! The Bushtec Turbo+2 is actually the least expensive model, comparing apples to apples, at least in terms of features!

We’d love to hear your comments on this issue – both pro and con. We love a good discussion on trailers, bikes, etc. Plus, stay tuned, as we’re going to look at some other Myths and Features of Bushtec’s – and how our Motorcycle Trailers compare to others in the marketplace.

Thanks for reading folks… and as always – ride safe!

Discussion

14 Responses to “Let’s Bust Some Bushtec Myths!”

1. I’m one of those people who researches for about a year before making a major purchase. I want the best “bang for my buck”. This means not only a great price, but also quality, durability, and reliability when it comes to a trailer for my bike. In all of my research, I’ve not found a better trailer than the Bushtec (any model). I’m still saving up for the purchase, but I know when I make it, it will be a Bushtec.

Posted by Steve | February 25, 2011, 2:30 pm
  2. Thanks for your comment Steve! We run into it all the time… Bushtec owners who still have the same trailer they bought 10, 15 years ago!

Posted by admin | February 25, 2011, 3:36 pm
  3. I’ve been comparing trailers at rallies and online for quite awhile and it is true that in base trim you can buy a Bushtec for the same or even less than other lower quality trailers….but lets face it, not many buy a base Bushtec and after you add the paint and other options a Bushtec is pretty expensive……but so are all the other major trailers on the market. I bought a Bushtec because of 1. I like the looks and quality of the Bushtec and 2. because of all the great reviews I’ve read and the customer service that others have always praised Bushtec for. I just hope Bushtec is still the same company that it was when John Preston was in charge when it was Bushtec’s stated mission “to exceed the customers expectations”

Posted by Frank | February 25, 2011, 8:48 pm
  4. Frank, thanks very much for your thoughtful comment. While it is possible like you say to add options, Colormatch, and accessories to the Base trailer, and those additions can add up – we feel that that fact is part of the appeal of a Bushtec. In addition to the base engineering, quality, safety features – you can easily customize it and really make it special – unique to you and your bike. We think we offer way more options that the other guys.

I can assure you, everyone in the Bushtec family continues to strive to meet customer’s expectations – and our own. We love our products, but are always looking for ways to improve and make them better.

Posted by admin | February 26, 2011, 1:03 am
  5. Myth…(definition) use by people with little or lack of information. Bushtec Cargo Trailers are still and will always be the best and safest in the world.

Posted by Fred Rivera | February 27, 2011, 2:11 am
  6. PATRIOTIC HARLEY DAVIDSON

My 2003 Electra Glide “Screaming Eagle” Harley-Davidson it’s a rolling tribute, and my support to the men and women in uniform.

The black color throughout it’s a reminder of our Government and its citizen’s turmoil during the Vietnam War. The flames in the front fender and faring are a reminder of America’s longest and most divisive foreign conflict. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. has over 75,000 edge names of Americans who made the supreme sacrifice for their country.
    Only a mother who morns the lost her son will understand.

The Red Striping along the flames it’s the blood we shed. There is an ethical respect among combat soldiers that is based on common understanding from being exposed to the atrocities of combat.

The blue field and stars is a symbolic tribute to our Flag. The stars represent our 50 states where man and women answered the battle cry of “God, Duty and Country” despite personal fear, despair, fatigue and injury.

The Bald Eagle with its razor sharp talons represents our national emblem reminding us that “Freedom isn’t Free, But It’s Worth Fighting For”. It’s not the constitution that guarantees Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, and or Freedom of the Press…It’s the men and women in uniform fighting and defending our democratic system and way of life.

The Red and White stripes represent the original thirteen colonies. It was the Minute Man who first answered the call to Duty.

Long-range patrols, air-mobile combat assaults and combat armor vehicles are artistically depicted on the side of the saddle bags, tour pack and Bushtec Cargo Trailer.

The Prisoner of War/Missing in Action emblem airbrushed on the lid of the touring pack is a reminder of the sacrifices endured by our men and women in our Armed Forces.

What we will never forget is that we served with honor, fought for freedom and for the ideals that make our country free.

Sgt. Fred Rivera, U. S. Army Artistic paint and air brush by
    5th Infantry Division Mr. Victor Cordero
    Vietnam 1968-69

Posted by Fred Rivera | February 27, 2011, 8:11 pm
  7. I bought my turbo plus 2 trailer thinking I would use it maybe 1 time a year, yes I could of got a cheaper trailer but I wanted the best,I remember Johns words as I was pulling away the first time I pulled it “it’s only as wide as your handle bars” since then I have used it way more than I ever thought. I have been all over the country in all kinds of weather conditions and have never ever had a problem. I once dropped the bike on gravel and as the bike layed on it’s side the trailer was upright,after my friends helped me out, they could not get over the trailer,it did just what it was supposed to do.I have called Bushtec with questions a few times and I am always amazed at how well I am treated, you people have always gone the extra mile for me, it’s nice to know

Posted by RONOSWALD | February 28, 2011, 12:45 pm
  8. My father has a Bushtec trailer for 9 years now, well over 190,000 kms on it. He has been around North America a couple of times. The trailer has performed to his expectations and beyond. I have just recently put my down payment on the GL Touring I was quite pleased with the service and treatment I received from Jim and the staff. I will be riding to Jacksboro in July 2011 to pick up the trailer. We live in Newfoundland, Canada. I can`t wait to hook up to it, load it and go. I know some of my riding buddies are going to be totally ticked off with their purchase ( Smiles ). See you in July….

Posted by Brian | March 13, 2011, 1:41 pm
  9. Thanks so much for your comment! Looking forward to seeing you in July. We’d love to hear about and see pictures from your trip down – and back after you pick up your GL!

Posted by admin | March 13, 2011, 2:05 pm
  10. I picked up my new Bushtec Turbo 2 back in March from the factory during Daytona Bike Week….. very pleased with it’s performance.

I wanted to mention how Bushtec treated me after the sale. I wanted to wait until Bushtec had the chance to make right what went wrong before I commented about it. Things can go wrong with any company and that’s just the way it is. What sets a company apart in my mind at least, is how they resolve the problem.

I picked up my new Bushtec at the factory and as soon as they rolled it out, I could see that the color was a shade too dark and didn’t quite match my bike. It was Daytona Bike Week and it seemed most of Bushtec staff was on their way to Daytona so there was really nobody to talk to about the problem that day. I didn’t know what to do since I done paid for it in advance and already had the title work and tags for the trailer….not to mention the 625 miles it took to get there.

So, I’m very disappointed and with the trailer in tow, I headed on my way to Daytona worrying about if Bushtec was going to do anything about the color with my new trailer. It might sound silly, but I was worrying that since it was almost the same color and they had my money that nothing would be done. I was thinking of all the excuses I would be hearing and to be honest, the saddlebag trim part that Bushtec said to send for color match did seem to match the trailer when held against it, and it matched the bike, but the trailers color just didn’t match the bike….weird.

So, I get to Daytona and the next day I was off bright and early with the trailer to Bushtec’s vendor site at the racetrack to show them the trailer.

I met Bushtec’s plant manager Bruce Mullins and the first thing he said when he saw my rig was “it’s a bit darker than the bike isn’t it”….then he said quickly…. “don’t worry, we are going to take care of it, now go and have a good time at Bike Week.”

Man was I relieved, no arguing, no getting mad, just a solution. I wanted to leave the mismatched trailer there but he said “take the trailer home and use it, we are going to make you another one and we will swap it out when it’s finished”

So, I got home and sent Bushtec the fairing garnish off of my bike so they had a nice big painted part to get a good color sample with this time around. Talked with Bushtec about how we were going to swap out the trailers and Bushtec did just what I asked. Bushtec was also very quick getting my fairing garnish back to me and had it back to me within a day of when they said they would. In the end Bushtec did exactly what they said they were going to do. Yea, something went wrong and it was a hassle for me no doubt about it, but in the end, Bushtec came through and fixed the mistake without a second of hesitation on their part.

I just thought I would post my experience with Bushtec to let others know that yes even with new ownership, Bushtec still has great customer service….. and the paint looks flawless. I’m a happy Bushtec customer.

Posted by Frank | April 23, 2011, 11:54 am
  11. Frank – Thanks SO much for your comment. We truly appreciate great testimonials and stories like this. Above all, we appreciate our customers and their business. – Brian

Posted by admin | April 25, 2011, 7:46 am
  12. I picked up my new Bushtec Road Star trailer at Rod’s Power Sports in Omaha, Nebraska and trailed it home to Pueblo West Colorado a few weeks ago, a trip of 679 miles. I encountered cross winds in the range of 35-45 miles an hour in Nebraska and then a snow storm in Colorado !!!! I have a 2009 Honda GL-1800 Goldwing with Motor Trike Adventure kit on it and I am amazed at how well this combination (train)did, even in adverse weather conditions. I always had full control, although I did have to slow down in the snow over Monument Pass in Colorado. Could not ask for anything better and glad I made the purchase of the Bushtec Brand Trailer.

Posted by Dr. Roger S. Stasiak | May 24, 2011, 2:56 pm
  13. Dr. Stasiak – Thanks so much for your comment – and your business! – Brian

Posted by admin | May 24, 2011, 3:13 pm
  14. Picked up my trailer on march 31st in a snow storm going through Jellico Tenn. When I got to the factory, I was met by Bruce the plant mgr. who calmed my nerves by taking me to lunch. This is a first class company, who builds a fist class product. I bought a Quantum GL and it is awesome. I can’t express how great this trailer is! It’s no effort to pull or stop, you don’t even know it’s there when your pulling it. Thank’s to all who built this great product.

Posted by Tony Certa | May 25, 2011, 8:08 pm